Adding control reliability to your machines isn’t as difficult or costly as you might think anymore. When we open a control panel on a machine that as been in operation for a few years or more, we are surprised if there is a proper control reliable circuit. More often than not there are no safety devices:
If there is a safety device, it is typically just one piece of what is required for a control reliable circuit like the safety contactor in this panel. Where is the safety relay though?
A simple control reliable circuit for a small machine should have these elements:
All safety sensors need to have a safety relay, controller or PLC monitoring them. This makes sense if you think about it, because it is often worse to have a defective safety device than no safety device at all. If a safety device is not operational and no one knows it, personnel will have a false sense of security that they are protected when they are not.
In this blog post, we discuss how you can save a lot of money by using a safety controller over a safety PLC. Most people don’t know that you can actually save money bu using a safety controller over safety relays too.
Banner Engineering now offers the SC-10 Hybrid Safety Controller, which is perfect for small machines with multiple safety devices. Consider a typical small machine with an E-stop, door interlock and light curtain. Previously you would need 3 safety relay’s to properly protect this machine:
With the SC-10 you save space AND money:
Another great feature is the two 6 amp relay outputs. This allows you to have independent safety zones on a machine. It also allows you to control safety contactors directly. With the solid state safety outputs (OSSD) often found on safety relays and controllers, a separate device is often added to convert the solid state signal to a relay output.
Here are some other great features of this cost effective and easy to use controller:
- Free programming software that utilizes intuitive icon based drag and drop programming.
- Supports a wide range of safety devices, eliminating the need to keep several back-up safety relays on hand.
- 10 inputs, including 4 that can be used as non-safety outputs to turn on a signal light for example.
- Built in Industrial Ethernet two-way communication. This enables 256 virtual non-safe outputs and 80 virtual non-safe inputs for functions like reset, on/off, cancel off-delay, mute enable, etc.
- SC-XM3 external drive for fast swap and quick configuration without a PC.
The SC-10 is another example of safety technology offered by Bulwark Safety Systems, LLC to help you create a safer work environment. We are working with companies like yours daily to find the best and most cost effect solution to their safety challenges. Contact us and we will be happy to help you solve your safety challenges as well.