Most of our customers are familiar with the OSHA requirements for self-closing gates, but they are often surprised when they take the time to walk their facility and count how many places these gates are still needed. The OSHA standard is as follows:
1910.28(b)(3)(iv) – Each employee is protected from falling into a ladderway floor hole or ladderway platform hole by a guardrail system and toeboards erected on all exposed sides, except at the entrance to the hole, where a self-closing gate or an offset must be used.
Bulwark Safety Systems provides a rugged one-size-fits-all gate (up to 44” wide) that can be applied to almost any of these openings. These gates come with all the bracket hardware and can simply be cut to the correct width.
To custom fit to an opening, you simply loosen two allen screws, cut off the gate to the correct custom length for your opening, and tighten the screws back up.
These gates are galvanized for outdoor use and then powder coated safety yellow. They are also available without the safety yellow paint.
We can provide a double door solution as well, if you have a larger opening. This solution is often used at ground level in pedestrian walkways.
Our self-closing gates have been tested and certified to the following standards:
- EN 13374 Class A
- EN ISO 14122 Part 3 & Part 4
- Ontario Building Code, NBC and British Columbia Building
- Canadian Standards Association
- Canada Occupational Health and Safety
- LIFE CYCLE TESTING – BS 6375-2:2009 Clause 6.5 – Opening and closing of Gate through 90 degrees.
- SALT SPRAY TESTING – ASTM B117 – 11 – 55 Neutral solution over 200 hours to assess performance of coating to resist corrosion.